Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Square Union Jack Patchwork Cushion - a quick tutorial

The Olympics made me do it. The Olympics and Blandina.

Square Union Jack patchwork cushion cover

You see, Blandina gave me a beauty of a charm square pack she'd had in her stash for many years (she bought it when she was three ;).

SquareUnionJackPattern23
Laura Ashley, no less.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to make with it until I saw those Union Jacks all over London.

The colours were perfect:

Laura Ashley patchwork squares

I had a 40 cm/16 inch cushion form that needed a new cover.

I started with 6.5 inch square paper templates like this for the diagonals:
SquareUnionJackPattern25
SquareUnionJackPattern16

I had to join my fabric squares together to make them large enough for the job:

SquareUnionJackPattern15

Then I paper pieced to make the diagonals. (For a detailed tute on paper piecing diagonals, see this one. Just remember our diagonals are NOT random - you need to follow the lines on your template.)

SquareUnionJackPattern17
Make 4 of these

Then I added 1.5 inch white strips along a side of each block:

SquareUnionJackPattern18

And then another 1.5 inch white strip to complete the blocks:

SquareUnionJackPattern19

Then it was time for the St. George cross. This is where you might like to alter my design.

As you might have noticed from my top photo, I like my cushions well-stuffed, and I don't care who knows it. If you like your cushion covers a little looser, or you plan on quilting the cover, you might like a little more ease in there.

If you like it toight like a toiger, use 2.5 inch red strips. If you'd like more ease, go for 3.5 inch strips.

SquareUnionJackPattern20

Join two blocks first:

SquareUnionJackPattern21

And then use a final strip to complete the design:

SquareUnionJackPattern22

Yay for Jack. You can easily turn it into a cushion now using this tutorial.

SquareUnionJackPattern13

I spent a little time considering the back of my cushion. Being Australian I like to see the Southern Cross wherever I see a Union Jack but to be honest, I couldn't bring myself to make all those itty bitty stars. So I took the easy route and made the French flag instead.

SquareUnionJackPattern12
Can Jack and Marianne live together? 

There you have it, a little bit of the 2012 London Olympics for your couch.

SquareUnionJackPattern11

Happy viewing!

20 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic tutorial Kirsty, I just love your cushion. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous result! I am hopeless at this kind of thing, it took me 1 year to help my kids make a bear, and it's already coming apart at the seams! So I'm extra impressed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to do it all, don't you!
    Love it!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I have seen a few of these around in the shops and now I can make my own! Love your fabrics that you used.
    Cath
    Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, just beautiful! The perfect use for this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but haven't. Never mind making a tutorial about it!! Love it, but you know for it really to be a Jack you have to stick it on a boat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you...I want to try one of these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your interpretation of the Union flag ( Nicola I'm with you - can't be a Union Jack if it's not on a jack staff! ) I'm sure I've still got some of that Laura Ashley fabric somewhere, now where's that box.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, but if I called it a Union Flag pillow everyone would think of the American Civil War! Well, at least that's what comes to mind for me. I hope all you good people of the UK will forgive me.

      Delete
  9. Great tutorial and beautiful cushions.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this was a surprise! And the fabric looks much prettier transformed in the Union Jack. I am glad that you could find such a great use of the old charm pack.
    Was I three when I bought it? Cann't remember now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow just found your site and I so loved your cushion that I had to lcomment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! Happy sewing and see you again soon!

      Delete
  12. Oi Kirsty!

    Thanks for the great tutorial! I made my version of your cushion as a gift to a friend, and she loved it! Thank you!

    If you want, you can check it out at http://www.amorascrafts.blogspot.com.br/2013/01/union-jack.html

    Thanks again ;)

    Keren Moura

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...